Saturday, October 15, 2016

A Bump in the Road

Hola Amigos,                                                                                               

Another week down here in the 264! This week wasn’t the most exciting week but it was still pretty good. I’m really starting to enjoy myself here in Salto and every day gets better and better. There are still plenty of moments that test my patience but the good moments always overpower the bad ones.
Salto de las Rosas Zone 
We started this week with our zone meeting and this was really fun because it was the first time I met all those who serve in our whole zone. Our zone of San Rafael covers a huge area so we don’t get many chances to all be together. Last P-day we played tons of games together and cooked some yummy chorizo sausages. Tuesday we had our zone meeting and it was awesome to all be together. We made some T-Shirts for each of us in the zone and they turned out really cool. “Iron Rod” has officially taken over.
This week we wanted to find some new investigators to increase our pool and to be honest, it was nothing short of a nightmare. We went to a stretch of houses and the first house we knocked on had about seven dogs that went absolutely crazy and this set off a bomb! I swear, every house on the street also had seven dogs and so trying to talk to people and attempting to let the Spirit testify to these people was literally impossible. The dogs in Argentina are forever testing my patience.
One of the highlights of the week was receiving my first haircut in the ARG and it was an interesting experience. Let’s just say that my haircut vocabulary isn’t the best right now so I couldn’t tell what the lady was asking me.  So, I basically just said “Si” to everything she asked. My hair ended up looking like a really high bowl cut. So, my man, Elder Hyer, used my beard trimmer and went to town on my hair. At least he made it look presentable. It was a very good opportunity to build companionship unity. 
First Haircut
This week we had some big plans for our investigator, Segundo, and we had to strategically plan around him because his house is a 40-minute bike ride away. The first time we went to see him, he wasn’t there when he said he would be and that was frustrating. We went back on Friday and he couldn’t talk because his family was visiting. I had really high hopes for him this week but we operate within the Lord’s timing and I just have to remember that Segundo will come along at his own pace. 
After going to Segundo’s house we started riding back to Salto and along our way we saw a girl's field hockey team practicing.  My man, Hyer, was a little preoccupied by the sight and as we rode by his tire slipped on something and he hit a little road barrier and went flying off his bike in front of the whole team. Oh man! It was sooooo funny! I was dying. Of course, I made sure he was “okay” before I laughed. The field hockey coach even helped him put his chain back on. It was classic!  I’m just glad my comp is alright!
We had a great lesson with Francisco this week and he seems ready to get baptized but he hasn’t been coming to church, which has been frustrating for us. He accepts our message and believes in everything we teach, but he never comes to church. UGHHHHH. Over the last few weeks, I’ve really learned about patience and the will of God. Since our area is so big, we can’t visit everyone and it really messes up our schedule when someone isn’t home because our other appointments are so far away. Elder Hyer and I are really trying hard to find more people and we have specifically set planned appointments with some who are interested, but we haven’t had much success. Cell phones and appointments aren’t a really big thing here and so its difficult to track down who we want all the time.    
There is a lot of potential and possibility in this area and we’re really starting to gain momentum but, there are still plenty of nights that I find myself really discouraged. Even so, the special moments in the week and helping others come unto Christ make it all worth it. It’s difficult to push people to make a leap of faith, but I know our Heavenly Father has a plan for them. 
This week I had an interview with President Goates and during it we talked about the difficulties we were having in the Salto area. He also asked me about all of the blessings I have in this life and he specifically asked me what I have learned from these blessings. It made me realize that I haven’t learned much at all from my blessings! It’s the times when we are really broken down and we feel like we are nothing that we learn! At times, we are broken down in all aspects of life and as life becomes too tough, we should endure with confidence, faith, and hope.  This is when we will grow the most and eventually, we’ll be grateful for our trials. 
There are some days that really test me but I can already see how much I am changing, while I help other people receive this gospel. I love being a missionary and I’m grateful for tough weeks because I know they will eventually strengthen me!
I love my family and appreciate the support they give me every week! They always give me the push I need! This next week will be a great one!

Elder Roderick


No comments:

Post a Comment