Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Vacation in Mendoza

Hola Amigos,                                                                                                         
 
Happy Halloween! Argentina doesn’t go crazy for Halloween but there are some stores selling costumes and that good stuff, but nothing like the States!
It was a slow week out here in good ol’ Salto. We spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in the glamorous city of Mendoza where I participated in my second training and completed some legal work so I can be an actual Argentine citizen. That’s a frightening thought.! Lucky for me, Elder Fredrick and I were together for all three of these days and we had a blast; three days just chillin’ in the offices and cruising the streets of Mendoza. It is so nice to have a familiar face in the mission with me. It was also so much fun to be with all of my MTC friends once again! Talking about our experiences from the last six weeks was so fun and it got me so excited to see what the future holds for me in the mission field.
Since we took a short little “vacation” to Mendoza, we didn’t have a ton of time with our investigators this week but all of them still want to talk with us, so that’s a good thing! Also, we found two more people who want to listen to us. Yay!! One of them was half drunk, however, so we´ll see what happens. 
Last week in church two of our members were called to be “missionary helpers” and this is such a blessing for us. No one in the Salto ward technically has a calling, so to have two people called to help us is kind of a big deal. Basically, we just need them to try to be friends with our investigators. Salto is a pretty small little town so everyone literally knows everyone. Conversion goes a lot better when an investigator has a friend in the Church because they have someone to go with, instead of us two gringos trying to push them a long! Our helpers actually had some success this week with our man Francisco. They took him to the Stake dance this weekend. However, when Sunday morning rolled around, he was nowhere to be found! I guess we´ll just have to start getting some more Young Women to attend church. They could give our boy some motivation! This is some good progress though! Every week we get just a bit closer.
Being in Mendoza for half of the week with all of my friends really made me look back on the last six weeks. I felt a little bit of de ja vu for when we were all back in that stake center all together on our first day in the mission. That was only six weeks ago, but in those six weeks so much had happened. I realized how much I have learned in such little time! Obviously, I have so much more to learn and I always feel like a little Freshman on the football team, but everything is going smoothly. 
This Sunday I got my first taste of being sick on the mission and it was awful. One good thing about having our meetings in the pench is the ability to be in bed literally seconds after the last “AMEN” is said. I woke up with a migraine and then for lunch I made some pasta with a chicken breast and I’m pretty sure that Argentina doesn’t have the same FDA regulations as the States, so sometimes our food can be a little sketchy! I really don’t know exactly what happened because my comp didn’t get sick and I cooked the chicken all the way through, but I had a long couple of hours with a bad stomach ache.
Argentine chicken: 1
Elder Roderick: 0
We have a number of things already planned for the upcoming week so it should be a busy one! A busy missionary is a happy missionary.  I’m hoping we can get some baptismal dates set! I know it’s going to be a good week!

Scripture of the week 1Samuel 16:7

“But the Lord said unto Samuel, look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature, because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as a man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the lord looketh on the heart.”


Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment