Saturday, March 25, 2017

Friday Night Lights

This week was another quick one because we spent time traveling to San Luis.
          We started the week having a zone conference with President and Hermana Goates, as well as the assistants. During the conference I had one of the most spiritual experiences I've had on my mission; one I'll never forget.  President Goates talked about "self control" with the mission rules.  He reemphasized a couple of the rules we have and then he talked about finding more people to teach. Years ago, South American, and especially Argentina, was booming with investigators and baptisms.  It used to be much "easier" to find people who were interested in learning about the Church. He made the comparison that missionaries in the past were like fishermen whereas today, missionaries are much more like hunters. He encouraged us to hunt everywhere for people who need our message. President Goates really pumped us up and he brought back memories for me of Coach Benson's pregame speeches.  LOL! Hermana Goates talked about listening to the promptings of the Spirit in every situation. Of course, we should listen to the Spirit while teaching lessons, but we should also listen to it during planning sessions and while knocking on doors. I don't know exactly what it was but, the conference was a real spiritual high for me and it was a great way to start the week.
          Along with the Elders Quorum and the Young Men we held an unusual activity at the ward building this week.  We played soccer! We were able to get a decent sized crowd to the field and it was a great for our missionary work because some investigators and people who aren't very familiar with the Church came to play. On the outside of the ward building there are some awesome lights that illuminate the field so we were able to have our own "Friday Night Lights!" and it was way fun. We cooked up some chorizos, which are basically like brautworst, and had a great time.  Some of the older guys in the Elders Quorum came out to play and a couple of the 40-50 year-olds put me on ice skates.  I managed to score a couple of goals so I feel pretty good about the night, but my goal is to become a Latin with my soccer skills, so it's still a work in progress.
          Our investigators are making great progress and we were able to set some baptism dates for a couple of them. Our friend Jorge introduced us to his daughter so we are teaching them together, which makes our lessons much more spiritual and easier to teach because it allows us to focus on the family aspects of the Church. This week when we met with Jorge we had planned to set a baptism date with him at the end of the lesson. But, in the middle of the lesson he said, "I have a question.  What do I need to do to get baptized?" It was one of those moments that I will never forget! Jorge went on to explain that he wanted a change in his life and he was looking for something more.  Missionaries are always looking for people like Jorge and what a blessing it is for us to have an investigator ask us if he can be baptized instead of us asking the investigator.  
          This week we also learned that we are going to host another "Open Chapel" here in 25 de Mayo. We were able to schedule a couple of baptisms with our investigators for the same day so I'm really excited for that.
          A cool experience we had this week was giving a blessing to one of the young men in our ward.  It was a blessing of comfort because he is starting school this week and preparing to serve a mission so his mom
thought it would be a good idea for the missionaries to give him a blessing.  It reminded me of the blessings my dad would give me before the school year started and the power of the Priesthood. Each time I have had the opportunity to use the power of the priesthood, I have truly felt the Spirit working. How fortunate are we to have this wonderful power on the earth today? As my good friend, Talo Latu, says, "I don't need to be Superman or have any super powers because I got the Priesthood power." LOL!
          The weather is slowing growing colder and it has been so wonderful to be in the streets all day without sweating like crazy. Soon it will be sweater weather!
          "Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks." Jeremiah 16:16
          Have a killer week!
          Elder Roderick 


No comments:

Post a Comment