Friday, April 14, 2017

Starting to Hit My Game

Querida Familia,       
                                                                                 
             To be honest, this week was an unforgettable one.  We had transfers again and I’m staying in 25 de Mayo but Elder Prestes is leaving and I’m receiving Elder Parker from Las Vegas. Also, we are receiving a pair of Hermanas in 25 de Mayo so our area is going to be cut in half but I’m excited to have Hermanas in the ward. This means we’re going to have four Elders living in our pench because the Hermanas are going to live in the pench where the other set of Elders lived here in Villa Mercedes.  So, this set up is going to be a little interesting.  I’m pumped to stay here in 25 de Mayo for another transfer.
            During this week we traveled a bit, celebrated my birthday and got some decent work done.  It rained a lot and this slowed us down, but we managed to get in some solid work. The highlight of the week was definitely my birthday.  The members literally treated me like a king and the video that my family made for me was so awesome! Thanks to all of my homies for participating in it. On my birthday, we ate two asadas and I received a ton of love from the members.  We ate so much! In the evening, we celebrated with the Familia Gallardo. They sang to me in three different languages and made me feel like I was at home with my own family. I really am so fortunate to be in an area where the members treat me so well!  19 years-old? I’m not a kid anymore.  That’s for sure.
            


              This week we were able to have a cita with Augustin and his brother, Alberto. One day we were on our way to teach and we heard Augustin call our names from his car.  Of course, I would never enter into a stranger’s car, but anyone who calls, “Elders” from their car and offers a ride is an automatic homie. It was actually a miracle that we found Augustin because when he drove by us, Elder Prestes and I were on a route that we usually don’t take. When we started out, we were on our usual route but we felt an impression to take a different route, and we were led to Augustin. He is so awesome and he’s really receptive to us. Right now, he’s mad at the Catholic church because he had to pay a ridiculous amount of money for his dad’s funeral. On Friday night, we went to his house for our appointment with him and when we got there his entire family was there for the lesson. This included his brother’s family and some of his friends. There were approximately 15 people in the lesson and they served us hamburgers. Literally, they are the kindest people.  They opened their home to us and basically said, “Our home is your home.” The entire family is interested in our message.  The experience of finding Augustin was an unforgettable spiritual moment and I’m excited to keep working with him and his family.
            This week we also had an awesome lesson with Lali, who is the daughter of the woman who cuts our hair. She has received the missionaries before, but not much happened. She was able to attend one session of General Conference and after it was over, she had a ton of questions about the Church.  We went to her house this week with the goal of answering her questions.  After meeting with her, I think we were able to spark her interest again. We left her with the commitment of praying about her questions and I’m excited to see the progress she can make.
            Another highlight of the week was seeing our boy, Jorge, in the chapel this weekend. We were really excited that he showed some action by attending church this week because his attendance shows that he is actually interested and wants to change his life, like he told us.
              This weekend we were able to participate in two “Capillia Abiertas” (Open Chapels) where we showed the town what we do in our chapel and what the Mormons are all about. On Saturday, we went to Justo Damet, which is a little town that has a branch.  It was kind of fun showing a small chapel to the townspeople.  We were able to welcome in a lot of people from the street and show them the chapel. On Sunday, we did the same thing in our ward in 25 de Mayo and we had an awesome turnout of members, a couple menos actitvos (less actives) and of course, investigators.  Each organization had a little stand where they explained a little bit about what they do.  It was an awesome experience and we had a lot of fun. I’m excited to reap the benefits of these Capilla Abiertas because undoubtedly, they will help our missionary efforts.
            This week I reflected about how grateful I am to be here, especially during this exciting time. Every day gets better and better and I feel like I’m starting to hit my game as a missionary!  As I was watching my birthday video I was really humbled by all of the support I have, especially from my beautiful family, who are all growing so much!
           I love all of you so much!  
           Elder Roderick 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment