Saturday, June 23, 2018

Gratitude for Great Men

¡Hola!                                                                                                                          
First of all, I want to give a big S/O to all of the dads out there.  Happy Father’s Day yesterday! I was blessed with the perfect dad and it was also nice to have a day to think about my two grandpas who are always protecting me.  I truly do feel their presence continually and yesterday was a good reminder of their presence in my life.
The best part of the week was on the morning I spent with the Assistants, on an exchange.  We made the decision to go for a run in the freezing cold.  Running outside when it’s almost below freezing while wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt is an exhilarating feeling. We nearly killed ourselves but it was so nice to feel a little bit of adrenaline.  I think that’s something I’ve lacked while serving my mission.  LoL!
The most interesting part of the week occurred with a contact I made in the street.  We met a girl who is preparing to get married and she told us that she’d like to have a better relationship with God.  So, we went with her to her home and taught her about the Plan of Salvation.  As we were getting to know her I asked her about her wedding and all that good stuff. I asked if she was going to get married in a church and she said, “No. I’m not getting married in a church because they won’t let us.” I was a little confused but quickly understood as she continued, “I’m getting married to another woman.” LoL! I’m not gonna lie. It was an awkward moment! Yes, it was awkward but it will be a good memory.
This week I also had the opportunity to have an interview with the big man, President Panzacchi.  Every time we get together our relationship gets so much stronger.  He is such an amazing man and he has helped me so much over the past year, both with my work as a missionary and personally.  I know that most missionaries say this, but I truly am so grateful for my mission president.
We had a great week in the area.  We have a decent pool of investigators who we are teaching and we have seen a lot of progress among them.  The cold weather, however, is keeping them in bed on Sunday mornings. LoL! We have started to teach a girl named Tamara, who lives in the student apartment with the new member of our ward, and she is progressing rapidly.  On a recent Sunday, she just showed up at church. So, we started to teach her and she is awesome! It’s so much fun to teach her because she is my same age and it’s easy to relate to her and share experiences.  Tamara is studying to be a nurse and she is a very smart girl.  She told us that she hasn’t every been very religious but she said she enjoyed being at our church meetings. About five years ago, she lost her mom so we connected with her by teaching her about the Plan of Salvation.  It has also helped to have her friend, Nicola (the friend who brought her to church) help with the lessons because Tamara has a lot of questions and Nicola gives her a lot of help and support. 
Agostina is also progressing well.  This week we got a call from the missionary she talked to online when she looked up the church. This missionary just called to see how Agostina was progressing.  So, it was fun to talk to another missionary from across the Pond and to know that there are a host of missionaries who are working on her behalf.  Agostina has received her testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and she feels comfortable at church but she is still a little hesitant about being baptized. She’s scheduled to be baptized next week. So, if everything goes well, she’ll be in the water soon! 

Love,

Elder Roderick 

No comments:

Post a Comment