Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Remembering My Purpose



August 9, 2016

Hi Fam!                                                                                                                      

Elder Roderick reports for duty.
I hope you guys are doing alright! I'm glad the roof is still on our house with me gone and everything. To be honest, this is one of the first times I’ve had a chance to think about home and all that stuff and I really miss you guys! I’m kind of glad our goodbye was so short because I would’ve cried like a baby if it were any longer. I walked into the MTC with Andrew and as soon as I got in there and received my tag I saw Elder Will Larsen and we had the BIGGEST hug. He is so awesome and I immediately knew I was in good hands. We sat down in the introductory meeting and immediately sang "Hope of Israel" and I instantly felt the spirit so strong and I knew I was supposed to be there.
My companion is Elder Amann and he is way fresh. He went to Skyline and then to USC for year. We are making connections all over the place. I love my District and we have all gotten a long really well. It took me a while to get used to the Heramanas because obviously, they are older and at first they acted like they were our moms. But, now they are all good and I’m trying to convince them to do my laundry. LOL! My Zone is way tight too. I’ve gotten a long really well with the Elders in the other District that came in last week, as well as the one that came in this week. Elder Dallimore and Elder Paulson are way sick. The District that arrived this week has two Elders that are going to Mendoza and they are just like me so we've been telling each other sooo many stories. I love it! It’s been nice to have some kids that are just like me who I can relate to.
I love my teachers, Hermanas Barlow and Tolk, as well as Hermano Hicks, who is way tight too. They only speak Spanish which can get really frustrating but I learn so much everyday. So far I have learned soooo much Spanish! All of my prayers, testimonies, and the three lessons I’ve taught have been in complete Spanish and its so awesome! In each of my prayers, I have prayed for the Gift of Tongues and I have seen it work so much. I go in my lesson and spit sooo much Spanish and then I walk out and don’t even know what I said. When I was able to speak so well that I committed my first investigator to read El Libro de Mormon and get baptized I was soooo hyped. Elder Amman and I were just running around the class cause no one else could get him to do anything. HaHaHa!
I’ve learned sooo many things while I’ve been here and my testimony grows everyday. We have a teacher instruct us between breakfast and lunch and then we teach after lunch then after dinner we have ciclo which is an hour each of personal, companion, and language study.  The best part of my day is seeing my homies. I see all of the homies literally everyday. Elders Croft and Nonu have class in the same building as I do so, I can see them whenever I want and it makes my day! I feel so comfortable here now and I am having so much fun. I try to stay busy and not think about home but it's alright. I'm living on the main campus right next to the store. The food is obviously nothing like my momma's cooking but its good and I haven’t really had a bad meal yet.
"In Two!"
Since I’ve been here, I have laughed the hardest I ever have in my entire life by just telling stories and relating to all these kids. The best part of the MTC is that there aren’t any cliques down here. Everybody just gets a long and we have a good time. We are all so different and that makes everything so much better. The most surprising thing about the MTC is that there isn’t much supervision. If you wanted to sneak out or just ditch class and take a nap you totally could. Obviously, I’m not doing this, but I could. One of the highlights of the week was when Ma Willow Jeppson dropped off some Czech pastries for me. My roommates and I chowed on them during ciclo. Honestly, that made my day! Another surprising thing has been that all of us get along so well. Honestly! The most difficult for me is to avoid comparing myself to others. I work my butt off to study this language and when I talk to the teacher and I say some ridiculous thing I feel so stupid and think of kids who are in the intermediate class can just say whatever they want. At first, I started to feel a little discouraged, but I'm taking it slow and learning so much already.

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!





August 16, 2016

Hey Fam!                                                                                                       


Another week down in the MTC. It really seems like I was just talking to you guys! To be honest, this week was a little more rough than last week. After talking to my friends and family back home I got pretty homesick and started thinking too much about what was going on back home. But, later Tuesday night, after emailing, we got to hear from Neil L Andersen and it was sooo cool! He gave such great insight to us missionaries and really was motivating. Then, on Wednesday, saw Lambson walk in to the MTC and it really made my day. He had the deer in the headlights look like I did but it was great.
My teacher Hermana Barlow has kind of gotten sick of Amann and me and all of our jokes so she hasn’t been taking any of our crap and this has made class seem sooo long. She's really sweet and a great teacher but she’s put a stop to our fun. However, we started to get taught by our first investigator, Brother Mecham, and he was sooo cool. He moved to Las Vegas so he only taught us twice but both of his lessons were my favorite so far. He pushes us with our Spanish, but helps us if we are confused and then really brings the Spirit into the room. Also, Brother Allred started teaching us this week and we kind of got off to a rough start. He made me take off the Batman Lego guy I had on my shirt and then made me take of my bracelets, which is technically a rule but no one said anything about taking them off before him. He told me, "Obedience brings blessings but exact obedience brings miracles." The Lego guy and bracelet aren’t that big of a deal but this experience made me realize how important obedience is.
I learned many things this week but the most important thing I learned was not being discouraged if an investigator doesn’t keep a commitment or doesn’t want to be baptized. Time is precious and it takes time for people to convert to this gospel. I realized that the needs of the people are soooo much more important than what I want.
We teach so much everyday now and Amann and I are really progressing together. We started TRCs which are basically a 45-minute lesson with an investigator that are filmed. Our teacher watches them and gives us a critique on how we did. They are a little intimidating but really cool. My investigator is Maribel and she is such a sweetheart. 
After a tough middle of the week, Sunday and Monday were so rewarding. Sunday morning, we had our ciclo time and I was able to study and be productive. It was my first normal sacrament meeting in the MTC and it was a great experience. I passed the Santa Cena and was able to teach priesthood and that was awesome. I taught about enduring to end which might seem like a weird topic to teach to 18 year-old kids but we had a great lesson and the Spirit was present. I have learned to love to teach and have improved so much. Sunday night we heard the talk "Character of Christ" by David Bednar and it was the coolest thing I have ever heard. It taught me how converting to Christ is the most important thing we can do. The main lesson I learned from Elder Bednar’s words is the importance of turning outwards to others instead of inwards to ourselves, especially while I’m a missionary. This is such a great concept to remember because that's how Christ lived.
Yesterday was the first time I hit the weights since I have been down here and it felt so nice. My man, Shad, and I went hard and I am so sore today.  Almost every day this week I have been able to have a good conversation with one of my friends and it makes me feel soooo much better. But, I have also made sooo many new friends down here and it seems like we have been friends for years. Specifically, Dallimore, Paulsen, Arshad, Poulson and Schelley have become my best friends. We share so many stories at night time and sometimes it’s hard to go to bed because I have been laughing so hard.
Now I’ll try to answer some of Mom’s questions. My regular day consists of three long periods between meals. One of them is our ciclo time which is our study time. Another is with a teacher during which we receive instruction and the other period is for TRC's where we teach for 45-minutes then our teacher critiques our teaching.  After that we usually have a lesson for an hour.
Sundays have turned into my favorite day! On Sunday we have ciclo in the morning where we usually end up writing our talks for Sacrament Meeting and quietly reading. Then we have Sacrament Meeting. Sacrament is all in Spanish, besides the two main talks, which is awesome. Spanish church hymns are soooo much cooler than the English ones. After sacrament we have lunch then priesthood and district meeting which is basically just Sunday school. We then have our temple walk and those are nice because everyone in the MTC is out there. Before dinner on Sundays we usually tune in to some dope talks that we like or Mormon Messages. Dinner is usually something more special because its Sunday and then we have a devotional which is always cool.  At the end of the night we have movie time which is our choice of a dope devotional that they have recorded or the movie 17 Miracles or something like that. The Spirit is everywhere on Sunday! I just love it so much!
Pday is also soooo chill. We participate in a session at the temple then usually email and do laundry around lunch time. I'm getting a haircut today and then I’m planning to go ball with Lambson. After dinner we have a devotional too so we literally have no class. It's very nice to have a break.
Highlights of the week are probably teaching, seeing my friends and actually being able to talk to them. During the last two Sunday devotionals I’ve sat next to Andrew and Thomas and we've caught up its been great because it keeps me normal. I also love going to the temple and telling stories at night. In a package I’d like to get some canned caffeine and especially the flavor blast goldfish. We went through a carton of those in 3 days. Any home cooked goods are great and the toaster has been the talk of the dorm room!! You should’ve seen the reactions my roommates had when I pulled it out of the box!
This week was a rollercoaster but I am so grateful for the tough times because they make me stronger and a better missionary and cause me to remember my purpose. I love being a missionary. I'm not here for myself or any of my benefits; hopefully they just come along the way.  I am here to help others come unto Christ and share with them the happiness that this true gospel gives me! I love my family so much!!

Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment