Sunday, January 1, 2017

Feliz Navidad

Hola!                                                                                                                

Wow! What a week! I had my first Christmas in the field and it was definitely one to remember!
We started this week with a zone conference with President and Hermana Goates and their assistants. We received tons of council and help from all of the leadership of the mission and I’m excited to put it into play. I have really learned to love President and Hermana Goates. Their love for the missionaries is truly something else! Of course, we also celebrated Christmas by eating a nice big feast and singing Christmas hymns. It was such a fun time.
We had a pretty tough week here in Salto because the summer has started and everyone is out of school and beginning to vacation and travel. Two of our awesome investigators left for a month and we struggled to find other people we’ve contacted. I don’t know if it’s luck or bad timing but we couldn’t find the same people we found last week. This was so frustrating and it resulted in a lot of knocking doors and riding our bikes to try and find people in new places that we thought haven’t been knocked. I have learned knocking doors and tracting is all about the attitude. If you have a bad attitude about it and don’t have a smile on your face, then no one is going to open their door for you. But it’s amazing what a smile and a good attitude can do.
Even with the frustrations of the week, this weekend was such a blast. It definitely wasn’t the same Christmas that I’m used to but it was still fun. Argentina goes pretty big for the holiday. They don’t exhibit their Christmas spirit the same way that Americas do with lights and decorations, but it was awesome. I was sitting in my bed at about 12 midnight, not being able to sleep, and there was a huge boom right at 12. I learned that everyone buys a ton of fireworks and they wait until midnight and then they go crazy. To be honest, it scared me sooo bad! I almost jumped out of my bed. 
On Sunday morning, I gave my first talk in the mission field! I think it went pretty well. When people are nodding their heads that means they can understand me. Right? I sure hope so. But this was actually a great experience. I noticed the Gift of Tongues and the Spirit guiding me throughout the whole thing it was really pretty cool. I have experienced the power of the Gift of Tongues and I have gained a testimony of the power of the Holy Ghost and especially His guidance while learning a language.
On Sunday afternoon, we met up with the zone leaders and we ate a huge asado with chicken, steak and potatoes. Oh man! When we had to walk back to the pench I thought I was going to die. Like Americans, Argentines go crazy with food on the holidays and I have eaten so much food over the last few days. I think I’m going to do a couple more sit-ups each morning. 
The best part of the week, of course, was talking to my family! Even with some internet and microphone problems, it was such a blessing to be able to see their faces and hear their voices again! Of course, it was impossible to not cry a little bit, but it made my week to talk with my family.
Even though this week was a little slow, it was still such a fun week and I will never forget my first Christmas in the mission field. 

I love you all so much and I´ll talk to you next year!

Elder Roderick


No comments:

Post a Comment