Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Dark Year Begins

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!                                                                                                            

Happy Elders receive their Christmas packages.
2016 is officially in the books! Looking back on it, 2016 was probably one of the most memorable years I have had in my short life. I’ll always remember finishing and graduating from high school, getting a mission call, having a summer that I’ll never forget and of course, spending the last five months in God’s hands as a missionary. 2017 will be known as “The Dark Year” because it will be the year I never step foot in 2350 Berkeley Street. Nevertheless, I’m so excited to see what 2017 has in store and I’m sure it will be one to remember.
Like everyone, I had a bit of a Christmas hangover and it was a little rough getting back into the swing of things but, like my dad always says, “it’s back to reality!”  We spent the majority of this week just knocking doors and we covered a ton of ground on the bikes. I have started to have a little bit of a love-hate relationship with the bikes because riding them is such great exercise that I love, but when it’s almost 100 degrees outside we look like we have been swimming when we arrive at houses. LOL! Physical hard work is also a blessing.
One thing I really focused on this week was following the promptings of the Spirit. Especially as we were knocking doors, I wanted to be in tune to the promptings as much as possible. Whether it is knowing which door to knock, or talking to someone in the street, and especially for me, knowing what to say and how to say something that personally sparks someone’s attention requires me to really focus on promptings. I found that the first few seconds are so crucial. Elder Mena and I have also tried to have as much fun as possible while we were doing this and he has taught me a few tips. I may not have the salesman skills that my dad has, but I’m getting better with time.  Since my Spanish is a little rocky, some people don’t even give me the time of day and they just look at Elder Mena to talk. This is frustrating for me, but that just means I have a lot more to work on. But, sincerely searching for the promptings of the Spirit during these times truly makes a difference.
This week we had another couple of lessons with Daniel and Carla as we are really pushing and working to baptize Carla on the 14th of January. Thanks to my momma we used a diagram of the Plan of Salvation to remind them of the eternal plan that our Heavenly Father has for all of us. We also reviewed the Law of Chastity which is always a little awkward but Carla, especially, has taken it to heart. Daniel is still shaky and hesitant about the whole thing. I explained to them that the new year is such a good time to start fresh and clean and Carla said something like, “New year, New family, New Life.” When I heard this, it made me soooo happy. Truthfully, one of the main reasons I am here is to help other families become eternal families. It will take a bit of work and maybe a miracle to get Carla in the waters of baptism next week but I have faith that something will happen!
With the beginning of the month, of course we had the opportunity to fast and bare our testimonies. To be honest, these two things definitely weren’t some of my strengths before the mission. But, ever since being here and honestly fasting and asking for help or a special blessing for something or someone I have gained a testimony of the law of fasting. Whether it has been fasting for an investigator, help to find more investigators, a family member who is sick, or for my own help, I truly have seen a difference through the power of fastingl Especially on the bikes on a long hot afternoon it’s a sacrifice to keep going while not having anything in my stomach, but this just makes it so much more meaningful. During Sacrament Meeting in Salto, people just take their turns to bare testimony and it’s kind of funny but I love the special feeling that is in the room during this short meeting
Well, like most countries, Argentina goes crazy for New Years. Again, we had to stay in the pench most of the day on Saturday and all of the night because President didn’t want us to be in the streets, which is fine. I took this opportunity to show Elder Mena how to make some pancakes and it was a great night. I slept like a baby and slept through all of the big fireworks but it was still pretty fun. We started the new year by going to church and I can’t think of a better way to start the new year.

Have a good week and please go ski some powder for me!!

Elder Roderick


No comments:

Post a Comment