Sunday, May 28, 2017

Adiós Villa Mercedes

Hola Familia,                                                                                                             
Well, the big news of the week is that I’m being transferred from my beloved town of Villa Mercedes! I am returning to the southern part of the mission to a little city called General Alvear, which is in the Mendoza province. I'll be in a little branch called Pellegrini and I'll be going back to the San Rafael Zone and Stake. So, it should be fun to be back in a familiar place. General Alvear is about 45 minutes more south from where I was in Salto de Las Rosas which means the area might feel a little familiar.
This last week of the transfer was a really solid one and we were able to catch up with all of our investigators and have a couple of great lessons with them. One cool thing that happened this week was that one night we are on our way back to our pench and we saw a lady who called us from the street to help her. She told us that she had lost her keys and needed to open her door. Our options were very limited and it was getting late so, we had to figure out something quick. So, I did something that every boy dreams of….. I ended up kicking the door open for this lady and I didn't even break the door frame so that was an unusual and exciting experience!
To be honest, this week also got pretty cold. The mornings and the nights got really cold but the days were really nice, when it didn't rain. Ha ha! Even so, it felt nice to put on a big coat and I have fallen in love with a drink they have here in Argentina with is called “Malta.” It’s basically just Mormon coffee. LOL! So, after over a year of living through summer and spring it's been nice to finally start the winter season!
We had another great lesson with the Sanchez family during which Pedro was able to tell us more about his experience at the temple. We also taught them more about the Word of Wisdom because the dad still struggles with smoking but as we talked, the whole family committed to help their dad so they can enter the waters of baptism together! There really is something special about the Sanchez family. Especially during our lessons, I always feel like there is something different about them. During the time that I have known them, they have made so much progress. Every time we teach them I become and more and more impressed by my boy, Pedro, because he is such an amazing example to his family! I hope and pray that one day I’ll be able to see the entire family in baptismal clothes. Then of course, the ultimate dream would be to see them in the temple one day.
Another cool lesson we had was with our man, Luis. We had a great chat about how he can receive his answer and confirmation that what we have been teaching him is true. We also gave him suggestions about what he needs to do in order to be certain about his decision to be baptized, or not. I kind of felt like I was interrogating him a little bit, but it ended up being a good lesson because the Spirit was so present. He eventually accepted a baptismal date!
We also had another awesome lesson with my man, Benjamin, and his family. During our lesson, we talked about the Plan of Salvation. When we got to the part of the resurrection I felt the prompting to use my priesthood authority and I promised them that their grandpa would receive his legs again and he be able to walk with his wife. This was a cool moment because I just felt the prompting to say it and the Gift of Tongues helped me say it in the correct Spanish. Following the first prompting from the Spirit, and then acting on it, will always bring great results!
Actually, I'm going to miss this place, Villa Mercedes, and all it has done for me as a missionary. The people have treated me like a king and I was lucky see the fruits of my work! I'm also really excited for my next adventure in General Alvear and I look forward to meeting new people and building more relationships!

Have a great week!

Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment