Friday, September 15, 2017

The Evil Wind, a Ladies Man and a Baptism

Familia,                                                                                                           
Occasionally in San Juan there is a “Sonda” which is a strong, hot wind that comes from the North of the country and is actually very dangerous because it causes headaches, fevers and chills.  This week, I met the thing.  We were out working in the afternoon when we started to feel the wind and to be honest, it got the best of me.  That’s for sure!  I had a huge headache and I felt like a zombie walking around.  So, I had to take the afternoon off and take a nap because I was legit dead.  Fortunately, I’m feeling better now.
We spent a good amount of time this week with President Panzacchi because we had interviews as well as Zone Conference.  I had a good interview with President and he gave me some great advice about prayer.  As missionaries, we pray a lot with the people that we teach, and personally.  He invited me to take some time before each prayer to just sit back and think for minute about what I want to say.  It actually works really well!  Since we pray so much, sometimes I get lazy and repeat things but now it’s easier to make my prayers more personal and more effective.
During our Zone Conference, we talked a lot about our teaching skills and how we can have more effective lessons with our investigators.  Now, we are trying to have more frequent lessons that are simple and shorter instead of longer and deep doctrine filled lessons.  By doing this, we can have contact with our investigators more often and we can teach more lessons during the day to more people.  We also focused on how we can explain the Apostasy more clearly to our investigators so they understand that the Church of Jesus Christ was truly lost and it needed to be restored by some homie named, Joseph Smith.
A very cool thing happened to me this week.  I was able to baptize a member in the ward who had fallen away from the church and wanted to be rebaptized.  This member is a big dude so they had to call on the biggest Elder, which happened to be me, to baptize him. So, I baptized him and luckily, everything went fine. I basically baptized myself because I had to make sure he went all the way under the water.  Ha ha.
One of the funny things that happened this week occurred when we were talking to a man, who is about 60-70 years old, outside of his house.  We were just chatting with him and trying to teach him. So, we asked him for his name.  He said, “My name is Martinez but the girls call me Jorgito.” I was legit dying of laughter at this older man who was telling us that the ladies have a nickname for him.
We were able to have some awesome lessons with Ayelen, who is one of our best investigators right now.  Like the majority of Argentina, she’s Catholic so we have found a lot of differences in our beliefs but she always has such good questions. Her questions are awesome and they tell us that she’s actually listening to us and paying attention.  We talked with her about the Book of Mormon and shared that it’s important because it provides evidence of the Restoration.
This week we also taught the Torres Family and they are progressing really well. Pablo, the father, is the son of the bishop in the neighboring ward.  So, they know a lot about the church.  One thing that I love about teaching them is that the wife, legit, fills out the pamphlets that we give them.  She underlines or highlights the parts she likes.  So, when we go to their house for our lessons with them, they are always prepared with good questions.  Now we just need to get them married!

Have a great week!


Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment