Thursday, March 22, 2018

#ElTerribleTrío

¡Hola Familia!                                                                                                          

My first week in Mendoza was a killer one.  Right after I received my mission call, I studied about my mission and I read all about Mendoza but up until this point in my mission, I haven’t seen any of the things I read about.  So, this week, I had was able to appreciate having the beautiful Andes Mountains on my side.  In the other areas where I’ve served there are just hills. In Mendoza, however, I get to wake up every morning to one of the most stunning mountain ranges in the world! As well, the grapes are legit the size of golf balls and of course, I’m trying to understand another beautiful accent. LoL!
            The news of the week is that during P-Day last week, I received a call from President and he told me that Elder Marcum and I would be in a trio.  So, now we’re with Elder Fernandez who is from Santa Fe, Argentina. This means that I’ve been companions with missionaries from almost all of the popular countries in South America! Adjusting to being in a trio has been a little strange.  For instance, during lessons with one companion it feels really natural to go back and forth with questions and points in the lesson.  With three, however, it’s a bit more interesting because we have to be careful to take turns and make sure everyone participates. So far, we’re getting along really well in our trio and it’s definitely a lot more fun in the streets and in our pench with two companions instead of just one.
            We spent the majority of the week getting to know everything in the area such as the members, investigators, less active members and the basics of the city.  Our main investigator is Eugenia who is a 23-year old single mom.  She has two kids and the missionaries in this area found her about two weeks ago.  She is progressing really well and she’s been reading the Book of Mormon like crazy.  She hasn’t ever really practiced another religion but she’s always wanted to find a church she could “belong to.” She’s gone through a lot in her life and this week she told us that since she met the missionaries and has been reading the Book of Mormon, she’s changed a lot.  In fact, she said that some people don’t even recognize her and can tell that she’s made a big difference in her life. We are getting her prepared for her baptism really quick!
            The highlight of the week occurred in the streets.  A less active stopped us and asked, “When are you guys going to eat at my house?”  We were so confused because we didn’t know who he was.  So, we chatted with him for a minute and he explained his situation.  He was baptized in 1996 and was the ward mission leader for a few years but then, he became inactive. Now, he is dating a Catholic girl.  So, when he invited us to his house we ended up teaching the first lesson to his girlfriend and she loved it!  She is Catholic but hasn’t gone to church in years. She told us that she’s open to listen to us and try some new things.  Then, on Sunday, they were able to come to church together and during our lessons there, we taught her about the Restoration and focused on the First Vision.  She told us that she believes in what happened to Joseph Smith and she also said that she loved being at church.  So, we are very excited for this couple and we hope to watch them make great progress!

Con Amor,


Elder Roderick  #ElTerribleTrío

No comments:

Post a Comment