Saturday, September 10, 2016

LESSS GOOO

Hola!
                                                                                                
    
             My last week in the CCM was actually such a great week! As I start to pack up for the big ARG it feels like this place has just been one huge long day. Six weeks in this place is plenty for me and I'm for sure ready to leave, BUT I have really enjoyed my time here. Obviously, there are better places to be, but I have learned so much about the gospel, Spanish, Argentina, and myself. I feel so honored to wear the name Jesucristo on my badge every day. 
Talo and Elder Roderick 
Saying “Goodbye” to my man, Marv, Talo and some Elders in our district was a tough way to start the week but during our Tuesday night devotional we heard from the one and only Christofferson! He and his wife talked about "Teaching repentance and baptizing converts." It was an international broadcast to all of the MTCs in the world so it was kind of a big deal. Elder Amann answered a question and so we were on TV for a little bit LOL! I was smirking so hard and I felt like I didn't know how to handle myself and people said I looked like such a scrub. Also, Tuesday morning, instead of doing a session in the temple we did initiatories. It was my first time doing them since doing it for myself and it was sooo nice. I love going to the temple every week and I'm sure going to miss it for the next two! 
In class on Wednesday our teacher sent us out onto the MTC streets to do "contacting." LOL! It was actually kind of fun. Let's just say everyone that spoke Spanish (including the construction workers) were spoken to! I can't wait to be doing it forrealz in a few days! We skyped again on Thursday with an old lady from Canada who spoke Spanish and it was so fun. Literally, all of our investigators, besides our teachers, have been old ladies! HAHA! I love them so much. Amann took a screenshot of our skype in the middle of it and it was soooo funny.
We also had an in-field orientation yesterday and it was actually pretty fun. They taught us a lot about how to find people and work with members.  They also gave us a long talk about basic stuff we need to know so we don't give the Church a bad name out in the field. We did SOO many role plays it got very annoying and I can't tell you how tired I am of teaching fakes! Literally, I have heard the same fake story for weeks. But, besides that, orientation was actually really fun except that we had to practice teaching in English. As I was teaching, I kept throwing in random Spanish words and it was bad. I guess being biligual is now both a blessing and a curse. It’s a blessing that I'm really learning Spanish and a curse that I can't speak English anymore.
Amann and I also went running again yesterday morning, way early, and since the Russians didn't wake up we just ran by ourselves and then put in some body weight work back at the room. It always feels so nice to get a good sweat going! And, I put on my Lulu underwear to workout and it felt a little bit like heaven, if I'm being honest. 
As I approached these last few days I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting complacent with my studies and especially the language. I learned a ton more this week and I am starting to feel comfortable with Spanish. But, I know it will be a totally different story when I land in Buenos Aires on Tuesday morning! I'm also trying to read a lot in the El Libro de Mormon and trying to finish by Halloween! President Hinckley said if you study a language and read the Book of Mormon in that language, by the end of your reading, you should feel almost fluent! What a boss man!
A highlight this week was getting a letter from the Flandro Family yesterday! It was so nice to hear from them! An exciting event was that an Elder in our room got pink eye on Tuesday and so trying to stay away from him has been an adventure. Honestly, everyone in the District has been sick at one point except me so I'm really counting my blessings. Also, hearing from an apostle was a major highlight!
Elder Roderick with Maribel, an investigator, & Elder Amann
I'm actually a little sad to leave this place. I can't believe I'm actually saying that but, it will be really bittersweet when I'm flying over SLC on Monday. I am so grateful for my time in Provo (besides the BYU aspect, of course) and I’m especially grateful for all of the people in the MTC.  While I was here I met so many awesome kids and I loved all of my teachers. It was especially such a blessing to be here with my best friends! Seeing them everyday and being able to chat with them has been such a blessing and I will miss them so much!
My next E-mail will be from MENDOZA, Baby! I'm sure these next couple of days will be really crazy and such test of my faith but I'm so excited to get out there and actually start serving!

Mucho amor,


Elder Roderick

No comments:

Post a Comment