Friday, September 2, 2016

Questions and a Heart-to-Heart

Hi Fam!!                                                                                                     

Another solid week in the books down in Provo. I was so bummed to hear about my Ram's loss on Friday night, but they will be back. I know that for sure. I was also sooo happy to hear about Uncle Tony! Miracles do happen! Allan and the Flandro fam, especially Wag Andy, are in my prayers every night and I hope they know how much I love them!
            Last Tuesday night was sooo awesome. We got to hear from Elder Useta of the 70 and he was such a good speaker! He talked about the scripture D&C 4:2 and about how as missionaries we need to give ALL of our Heart, Might, Mind and Strength to the Lord. Whenever an apostle is here you can just feel a buzz in the air and it is the coolest feeling. I made sure to shake his hand after he spoke. He was a convert and told us about his conversion and the point of view that he had as an investigator. As we taught each other in class this week, as fake investigators, I had another opportunity to get the point of view from the investigator and I loved it. I learned so much about how I can improve my teaching.
We taught our TRC person a few more times and one of the times was with a member and it was actually a really good experience. He was able to share some really cool experiences about his mission and his baptism. One of the more awkward parts of the week was when we had to teach our teacher about the law of chastity, considering the fact that the role she was playing was a 20 year-old girl with 2 kids. LOL!  Lets just say my Spanish vocabulary was expanded in many ways. HeHe. "No sexual relaciones antes de matrimonio Hermana." HaHaHa! I was dying inside. But, to be honest I am getting kinda sick of teaching these fake investigators especially when their g's are poking out. At the same time, however, my Spanish improves the most when I’m teaching, so it is a blessing.
Elder Roderick wears David Archuleta's tie.
Talking about my Spanish... It is actually coming along really well. During our study we are trying to learn more vocabulary about everyday life instead of just the gospel and I am enjoying that a lot more actually. I have really learned about patience while I learn this language but I am so glad I am learning Spanish. The tough thing is the teachers teach two concepts a day and it is starting to become really tough to know what to use, when to use it, and how to say it.  We have had some really good lessons this week though. Hermano Wooden is suchhhhh a homie! He teaches us more than the gospel with the language and we feel the spirit more and more everyday. Hermana Barlow has been really good this week too. I feel like she really likes me now days because Amann and I are trying so hard in class.
One of the highlights of the week was when we were teaching her as a whole class while she pretended to be one of her inactive friends. Besides one of the Hermanas trying to dominate the lesson, it was such a cool experience. We all had different experiences and scriptures to tell and it was one of the most powerful lessons I've been in. After teaching we sung "I Know my Redeemer Lives" and it really was such an awesome experience. 
I started reading in the book, "Missionary Companion," which is basically just summarizes all of the concepts of the church with scriptures and history. it has really helped me understand the confusing parts of the church and has increased the efficiency of my studies. 
            One bad part about the week was when we lost Elder Doney. Doney was Elder Dallimore's companion and has had one of the toughest lives I've ever heard. He’s been in and out of foster care, is dad OD'ed on meth, his mom is an alcoholic and he has already beaten a strange form of cancer. After his chemo he developed a condition in his bone marrow that causes him feel pain in his legs all of the time and he barely has the strength to walk. He beat his condition two years ago, which is around the same time he converted to the church. This week he was feeling that same pain and after some blood tests he found out that the condition had come back. He tried to suck it up and go through it but he was in so much pain that he had to go home and get back on some intense medication. This was a really interesting experience for me. Doney was working so hard and legit only spoke Spanish 24/7 so he would feel more comfortable in the field. This made me wonder why God would give him so many tough challenges with everything in his life especially while on a mission. I have had such a cushy life compared to him so it caused me to ask, Why Doney”? Paulsen, Dallimore, Amann and I had a real heart to heart about this on Sunday and talked about God's plan for all of us. President Price also bore testimony to the congregation about the situation and it was a comforting experience. 
Also, shouts to my boy, Amann, for becoming the DL this week and it's his 20th birthday today! He's 20 right now and I'll barely be 20 when I get back. HaHa! I learned so much again this week and am so grateful to be a missionary in the last dispensation. Scripture of the week is D&C 122 6-9! I read these scriptures after Hermano Wooden showed them to me and my jaw literally dropped!
I love you all so much and I am grateful for all of the love that comes my way! I can't tell you guys enough how much it means to have a loving family of cousins, aunts and grandparents that support me in everything I do. Some kids down here barely have any support from home and I don't know how they do it! I love being a missionary and this week, especially, I know I am here not for me, or anyone back home but for the people of the ARG! 

Con amor, 

Elder Roderick



P.S. Another cool thing happened this week. Yesterday I drew the David Archuleta tie out of the Tie Draft box and I got to wear the ugliest tie for a day.  HaHa!  He was in our district a long time ago and his tie has been here ever since! The thing is, each missionary who gets to wear it, has to sign it. I thought it would only be appropriate if I signed it ELDER WAGNER. Also, Elder Allen's mom sent us all matching Argentina ties and that was pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment